Monash University - Competition Terms and Conditions
2017 Monash Institute of Cognitive and Clinical Neurosciences “Hooked on Gambling” Video Competition.
Both individuals and community groups/schools may enter the competition.
An entry on behalf of a community group or school may be submitted by an authorized representative on behalf of the community group or school and may be created by a group of individuals, all of whom must be directly affiliated with the Community Group or School.
Community Group entries must be made on behalf of a genuine community group (as determined by the judging panel in its sole discretion). For the avoidance of doubt, a community group established primarily for the purpose of entering this competition will not be deemed to be a genuine community group.
Entry is restricted to those aged 13 and over. If you are under 18, you must get approval from your parent/guardian before you enter.
Entry is not open to Monash University staff employed within the School of Psychological Sciences or the Monash Institute of Cognitive and Clinical Neurosciences.
The competition commences on Friday 25th August 2017 at 9am Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) and will conclude on Wednesday 4th October 2017 at 11:59pm AEST.
To enter the competition, you must, during the Competition Period:
1. Submit a video to the Thinkable website which relates to a topic relevant to gambling including but not limited to the following:
a) The cause of gambling – What makes people vulnerable to gambling?
b) The gambling cycle – craving, harm, recovery, relapse
c) The gambling brain – adolescent brains, learning, experience and brain plasticity
d) The gambling experience – life as a gambler, friends or family
e) Stigma – associated with being a gambler, wider society
f) Individual and social ‘recovery’ – how do we recover from gambling?
g) Geography – what would a ‘gambling map’ of Melbourne, Australia or the global picture look like? Does place influence gambling?
h) Policy – throughout history, evidence has often been made to fit policy, rather than the other way around. How do we build a society where people can form healthier bonds?
2. Ensure the video you submit is no longer than 3 minutes in duration and has been created by you specifically for this competition.
3. Provide your contact details at the time of submission.
Entry is limited to three per entrant and entries over this limit will be deemed invalid.
Up to three prizes will be awarded.
Community group or school – one prize
One prize will be awarded to the winning community group or school entry. The prize will be AUD $2000, and:
a) For community groups, a Ka-Ching Professional Education Pack (for Community group entries); or
b) For schools, a Ka-Ching Professional School Toolkit
Each of which are valued at up to $385.
Ka-Ching is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
Individuals – two prizes
Two individuals will each receive one prize in the form of a Coles Myer gift voucher (or equivalent) to the value of AUD $500.
Coles Myer is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
Selection of Winners
The prize winners will be chosen by the judging panel based on originality and creativity.
Announcement of winners
Each winner will be notified by email within 7 business days of the end of the Competition Period using the contact details provided at the time of entry.
The names of the winners will be published on the Brain and Mental Health laboratory’s website and in other University publications.
The prize will be presented at a public event at Deakin Edge (Federation Square, Melbourne) at 6pm on Wednesday 11th October 2017 and each winner will be required to collect the prize at this event (in the case of a community group or school, a representative of the school or group may attend).
1. The promoter of the prize draw is Monash University (ABN 12 377 614 012) (Monash).
2. Information on how to enter this competition and prize details published by Monash form part of these terms and conditions of entry (Terms).
3. All entrants agree to the Terms upon submitting their entry.
4. Entries must be received during the Competition Period. Entries will be deemed to be accepted at the time of receipt and not at the time of transmission. Incomplete, inaudible or incomprehensible entries will be deemed invalid. No responsibility will be taken by Monash for lost, late or misdirected entries.
5. Monash reserves the right to: a) cancel, terminate, delay, modify or suspend the prize draw at any time; b) withdraw the invitation to participate from any person, including where that person incorrectly receives an invitational email; and c) amend or vary these Terms during the Competition Period.
6. The winner(s) will be chosen as outlined in the above details.
7. Prizes must be taken as offered and are not redeemable for cash or an alternative prize. Prizes are not transferable.
8. Monash reserves the right to disqualify any entry or entrants at its discretion at any time. Monash’s decision on all aspects relating to this competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
9. Monash may request further information from the prize winner to confirm the prize winner’s entry is eligible and complies with these Terms. This may include, for example, requesting proof of identification.
10. By entering, entrants:
(a) confirm that any content they submit is original or that they have permission to use the content and the content does not infringe the intellectual property rights or any other rights of third parties;
(b) grant Monash a perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive licence (with the right to sub-licence) to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, communicate with the public and otherwise exploit the submission content in any media for any purpose (including to advertise or promote any of Monash’s products or services);
(c) consent to any act or omission by Monash that would otherwise infringe any moral rights that may subsist in the entry; and
(d) agree to sign any further documentation required by Monash to give effect to this clause.
11. Videos of the entrant themselves or other people whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, are considered to be ‘personal information’ under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic). If the submitted video includes people whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, the entrant must have their consent prior to entering the competition. Submitting a video to this competition means the entrant accepts that Monash will use their video for promotions as stated in these terms and conditions, and that the entrant warrants that everyone whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, in their video (including the entrant, if applicable) has provided informed consent to Monash doing so. Monash has comprehensive policy addressing issues relating to the use, collection, security and access to personal information which can be viewed at the following http://www.monash.edu/privacy-monash.
12. It is the entrant’s responsibility to ensure they are readily contactable through the information provided at the time of entry.
13. If a winner does not respond to claim the prize within 5 days of Monash attempting to contact the winner, the winner forfeits the prize. If this occurs, Monash may select a new winner and offer the prize to other entrants until a valid winner has been contacted. The newly selected winner will be contacted by email or phone.
14. Where the entrant is not able to attend the event where the prize will be presented, Monash will send the prize via post to an Australian address nominated by the winner. Postage of a prize will involve delivery to you by a third party service provider. You accept that Monash will not be liable for any loss or damage to the prize that occurs whilst in the possession of the service provider.
15. Monash accepts no responsibility and shall not be held legally liable or responsible for any accident, loss, injury or damage to any individual or property whether direct or indirect, whether in contract, tort, negligence or otherwise arising out of or in connection with the competition or the prize, either during or after the competition.
16. Without limiting clause 15, Monash makes no representations or warranties as to the quality, suitability or merchantability of any goods or services offered as prizes. To the extent permitted by law, Monash is not liable for any loss suffered to person or property by reason of any act or omission, deliberate or negligent, by Monash or its employees or agents, in connection with the arrangement for the supply of goods and services by any person to the prize winner, and where applicable, to any persons accompanying the prize winner. This clause does not affect any rights a consumer may have which are unable to be excluded under Australian law. To the fullest extent permitted by law, any liability of Monash or its employees or agents for breach of any such rights is limited to the payment of the costs of having the prize supplied again.
In less than 60 years since its foundation, Monash has grown to become one of the country’s leading research institutions. It is a member of the Group of Eight, a coalition of Australia's leading research-intensive universities, and of the M8 Alliance of Academic Health Centers, Universities and National Academies. With over 65,000 students,and five domestic campuses, it is Australia's larges...